“Today is a step towards righting the wrongs of the past and giving these individuals their names back,” Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx said.
The Chicago police officer seen in a video grabbing a woman as she attempted to leave North Avenue Beach with her dog Saturday has been placed on administrative duties while the incident is investigated.
Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she was “deeply concerned” by the altercation between a white male officer and Nikkita Brown, a Black woman. The incident is now under investigation by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability recommended two months ago that Officer Evan Solano have his gun and badge taken from him after the March fatal shooting of a 22-year-old in Portage Park, even as a probe of the killing continues.
,
A Chicago Police Department representative did not respond to questions about why Brown has yet to act on the recommendation made by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, known as COPA, April 28.
,
The Chicago Police Department has announced changes to its search warrant policy that will go into effect later this month following widespread calls for reform after a botched raid at the home of Anjanette Young in February 2019.
Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown has not acted on the recommendation of the Civilian Office of Police Accountability that the officer who shot and killed Anthony Alvarez in Portage Park be stripped of his police powers during the ongoing probe.
The chief administrator of the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, the agency which investigates police misconduct, has announced she will be resigning from the organization “with a heavy heart” after three years on the job.
,
There is evidence that officers committed dozens of acts of misconduct during the botched raid of Anjanette Young’s home in February 2019, leaders of the city agency responsible for investigating misconduct by members of the Chicago Police Department announced Thursday.
The video release from the Civilian Office of Police Accountability marks the second time in two weeks the agency has published footage showing a fatal police shooting involving a foot pursuit.
Chicago is again facing the stark reality of a fatal police shooting of a young person. Every news organization must decide how to best handle such sensitive material as it reports a story. Here’s how we’ve handled in on “Chicago Tonight” and online.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability delivered on its promise to publicly release video of the fatal police shooting of Adam Toledo within 60 days, but the agency’s work has just begun. What’s next for the investigation.
Police body camera footage released Thursday shows 13-year-old Adam Toledo turn toward a Chicago police officer and put his hands in the air an instant before the officer shoots him. Toledo, a seventh-grader who attended Gary Elementary, died at the scene.
The footage will be released more than two weeks after 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot in the chest and killed by a Chicago police officer in an alley in the Little Village neighborhood, and two days after the boy’s family reviewed the video.
The family of Adam Toledo, the 13-year-old shot and killed by a Chicago police officer last month, viewed body camera footage of the shooting Tuesday evening. But those materials will not be “immediately” released publicly.
The agency that investigates Chicago police shootings will release body camera video of an officer fatally shooting a 13-year-old boy, first to the boy’s family and then to the public, an official said Friday.
 

Sign up for the WTTW News newsletter

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors