The Chicago Department of Public Health is investigating an outbreak of salmonella after four people who consumed food from Sun View Produce (6110 W. 63rd St.) became sick last month.
Individuals associated with the outbreak ate pork tamales or carnitas served from the store’s deli section, according to CDPH.
Health officials are urging anyone who purchased pork tamales, carnitas or other hot foods from the store’s deli section since July 1 to discard those items, and warn that those who consumed such foods may have been exposed to salmonella.
Symptoms of a salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps. Most people experience symptoms between 12 and 72 hours after consuming contaminated food, and symptoms can last up to seven days. Anyone experiencing severe diarrhea, dehydration or a high fever should seek medical attention, according to CDPH.
While most infections don’t require antibiotics, older individuals and those with weakened immune systems may need to be medically evaluated and treated.
CDPH performed an environmental assessment of the store and provided guidance on safe food handling practices and environmental cleaning to prevent further spread of disease. Foods associated with the outbreak were no longer available as of Aug. 5, according to officials, who say there is no evidence that food made after that date was contaminated.
Health officials are monitoring for additional reports of illness. Anyone experiencing diarrheal symptoms after consuming foods from Sun View Produce should contact CDPH by calling 312-746-7425 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to file a suspected food poisoning complaint.