Man Charged With Killing Woman, Wounding Her Sister in Shooting Outside River North Bowling Alley

A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)

A Chicago man has been arrested and charged with murder months after he allegedly shot and killed a woman, and wounded her sister, during a confrontation outside a River North bowling alley.

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Jason McMahan, 36, was denied bail during a hearing Wednesday, one day after he was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated battery stemming from the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Tashawnna Anderson.

According to Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Anne McCord Rodgers, Anderson and her sister were attending a birthday gathering on April 30 at the 10pin Bowling Lounge, 330 N. State St.

McMahan and his girlfriend were also in attendance, and when Anderson saw them, she went to call a friend of hers who previously dated McMahan. When that woman arrived, she got into an argument outside with McMahan’s girlfriend, McCord Rodgers said.

McMahan and his girlfriend walked away to the girlfriend’s car but were followed by Anderson and her friend, who continued exchanging insults with the pair. At this point, McMahan’s girlfriend called 911 to report the women’s behavior, before she and McMahan drove back to the bowling alley, according to McCord Rodgers.

Anderson and her friend also returned to the bowling alley, where they met up with Anderson’s sister outside. Those three women then approached the vehicle, and McMahan’s girlfriend called 911 a second time.

After another one of Anderson’s friends tapped on the window of the vehicle, McMahan allegedly exited, punched that person in the head and then fired three shots from a .40 caliber firearm, striking Anderson in the chest and her sister in the leg.

He then got back into his girlfriend’s vehicle and fled the scene, McCord Rodgers said. Both victims were taken to area hospitals, but Anderson died of her injuries.

McMahan’s girlfriend eventually drove back to the scene and told police that she had two firearms inside her car — a 9mm handgun and a .40 caliber firearm that was later matched to three shell casings recovered at the scene, McCord Rodgers said.

The shooting was captured on both surveillance video and video from a CTA bus, according to McCord Rodgers, and four witnesses identified McMahan as the shooter, either on scene or later through a photo array.

During Wednesday’s hearing, McMahan’s public defender argued her client was acting in self-defense and noted that it was his girlfriend who had called 911 twice prior to the shooting.

While one of Anderson’s friends was carrying a firearm of her own, McCord Rodgers said the woman never removed it from her purse and that only McMahan fired any shots during the incident.

“The only gun that was out, the only gun that was fired, was fired by the defendant,” McCord Rodgers said.

McMahan is due back in court for a hearing Jan. 24.

Contact Matt Masterson: @ByMattMasterson[email protected] | (773) 509-5431

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors