No Bail for Man Charged With Shooting Toddler on Lake Shore Drive

A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)

The man accused of shooting toddler Kayden Swann in the head earlier this month allegedly fired multiple shots at the boy’s car from inside his own vehicle before getting out on foot onto Lake Shore Drive and firing several more rounds in broad daylight.

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Deandre Binion, 25, was ordered held without bail during a hearing Friday following his arrest this week on charges of aggravated battery with a firearm and three counts of attempted murder stemming from the April 6 shooting.

According to Cook County prosecutors, the incident began just after 11 a.m. that morning as Swann and his grandmother rode in a Lincoln sedan driven by her then-boyfriend Jushawn Brown northbound on Lake Shore Drive.

Binion was driving a dark-colored SUV at the same location and stopped just short of hitting Brown’s car after attempting to pass them. When the cars stopped at a red light on the drive at Roosevelt, Brown leaned out the window and yelled at Binion to back off, telling him he had a child inside the car, according to prosecutors.

After they began driving again, Binion allegedly pulled up next to Brown’s car and displayed a handgun, and Brown responded by picking up a gun he had resting at his feet and showing it to Binion.

As Brown attempted to get away from the SUV, Binion fired four-to-five shots from his vehicle at the Lincoln, prosecutors said. He then allegedly stopped his car in the middle of Lake Shore Drive, got out and fired another four-to-five shots at the fleeing sedan.

Binion then got back into his car and drove off, according to prosecutors.

Swann, who had been seated in a child’s car seat in the back of Brown’s car, was shot once in temple, with the bullet exiting his right cheek. He was rushed to the hospital where he was eventually put in a medically-induced coma.

Investigators were able to identify Binion’s vehicle, a rental with Michigan plates that had been booked by his girlfriend, using a license plate reader, according to prosecutors. It was recovered two days later.

But Binion’s defense attorney on Friday said that the shooting was actually Brown’s fault, pointing to a media interview given by Swann’s grandmother shortly after the incident in which she claimed Brown had fired shots and “initiated this whole situation.”

Brown was, in fact, charged April 8 with one count of unlawful use of a weapon stemming from this incident. An initial statement from the Chicago Police Department announcing that charge also indicated Brown had “fired shots,” though that language was removed hours later in an updated statement.

But prosecutors Friday said Brown’s weapon was fully loaded when it was recovered by police at the hospital shortly after the shooting and it did not appear to have been fired.

Police recovered 10 9mm shell casings at the crime scene, and those were all tied to the gun Binion allegedly used in the shooting, prosecutors said, adding that there was “no evidence” Brown had shot at Binion.

Despite the severity of his injuries, doctors at Lurie Children’s Hospital said Swann has undergone a “remarkable” recovery.

The toddler is now able to breathe on his own and can move all his extremities. Swann was removed from the hospital’s intensive care unit earlier this week and could be moved to a rehabilitation center sometime soon.

Contact Matt Masterson: @ByMattMasterson[email protected] | (773) 509-5431

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors