Attempted Dognapping Precipitated Fatal Shooting on Lower West Side: Prosecutors

A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)A file photo shows a crime scene blocked off by the Chicago Police Department. (WTTW News)

After being chased into his home while out for a walk with his dog, a Chicago man allegedly retrieved a firearm, went back outside and fatally shot a 26-year-old in the head on the city’s Lower West Side.

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Raekwon Drake, 22, was held without bail during a hearing Monday following his arrest on a charge of first-degree murder stemming from the Friday evening shooting, which occurred in the 1800 block of South Paulina Street.

According to Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy, surveillance footage shows Drake walking his dog in that area around 6 p.m. when a group of three men began chasing him. Drake ran home with his dog, but left the animal outside as he ran into a residence.

The group took the dog and began walking away, when Drake returned with a firearm and fired four shots in their direction, according to Murphy. No one was struck, and the three men tried to run away.

One of those men dropped the dog and then fell down near a car as he tried to run, Murphy said. Drake’s girlfriend, who had followed him outside, chased after this man and began punching and kicking him as he lay on the ground with his hands up, according to Murphy. She was soon joined by Drake, who also allegedly began hitting the man, before he pulled out his firearm and shot the man once in the head.

He was later pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital, according to Murphy.

Drake and his girlfriend then attempted to run away, but they were each shot by an unknown person from the original group that had been chasing Drake earlier, Murphy said. Both were treated at Stroger Hospital and were listed in good condition, according to Chicago police.

Drake was still hospitalized as of his bond hearing Monday afternoon.

Drake’s attorney Frank Himel argued that his client had no criminal history and was being chased by armed robbers, giving him a “viable” claim of self-defense.

During the hearing, Murphy said he had reviewed surveillance footage from multiple cameras that shows the entire incident, and claimed the shooting occurred while the victim was lying on the ground being hit.

“At the point that the defendant shot the victim in the head, there clearly wasn’t any self-defense at that point, or defense of others,” he argued.

Drake is due back in court on July 30.

Contact Matt Masterson: @ByMattMasterson[email protected] | (773) 509-5431

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors