Chicago Woman Allegedly Ordered 14-Year-Old Son to Fatally Shoot Man During Restaurant Altercation: Prosecutors

(WTTW News)(WTTW News)

Significant Update, 12:55 p.m., June 26: The below story was published on June 22. On June 26, prosecutors announced that charges against Carlishia Hood and her juvenile son have been dropped. Read the latest story here.

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

A Chicago woman and her 14-year-old son are facing murder charges after a physical altercation inside a fast food restaurant turned deadly when the woman allegedly ordered her son to fire shots at a 32-year-old man.

Carlishia Hood, 35, and her teenage son have each been charged with first-degree murder stemming from the fatal Sunday night shooting of Jeremy Brown at a West Pullman restaurant.

Hood, who was also charged with a felony count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, was ordered held on a $3 million D-bond during a hearing Thursday, meaning she must pay 10% of that amount to be released from custody. Her son, whose name has not been released, is set to appear in juvenile court.

Assistant State’s Attorney Anne McCord Rodgers said Hood and her son drove to the Maxwell Street Express restaurant in the 11600 block of South Halsted Street to get food around 11 p.m. Sunday.

Hood went inside while her son stayed in their vehicle, but once inside she allegedly got into a verbal argument with Brown, whom she did not know prior to this incident. That altercation escalated and turned physical when Brown began punching Hood in the head at least three times, McCord Rodgers said.

As that was happening, the 14-year-old entered the restaurant, pulled a handgun from his hoodie pocket and allegedly shot Brown in the back. Brown fled the restaurant, but Hood yelled at her son to kill Brown as the teen pursued Brown and fired additional shots at him, according to McCord Rodgers.

Brown was struck twice and ultimately died of his injuries. He was identified through Cook County Medical Examiner records and was one of more than a dozen people killed by gunfire across Chicago during a violent holiday weekend.

After the 14-year-old shot Brown, Hood allegedly told him to shoot a woman who had been inside the restaurant with them and had been laughing during the verbal altercation, McCord Rodgers said. Hood’s son did not fire any more shots, and when Hood allegedly tried to pry the gun away from him, he pushed her away.

Hood and her son then got back into their vehicle and drove home, McCord Rodgers said. They eventually turned themselves in to police and were arrested Wednesday.

The entire incident was captured on video, according to McCord Rodgers, portions of which were published by the Chicago Police Department earlier this week in an effort to identify the suspects.

During Thursday’s bond hearing, Cook County Judge Barbara Dawkins noted that according to the allegations, Brown did punch Hood, but that he was killed as he tried to escape from the restaurant.

“The threat at that point was over,” she said of Brown attempting to flee. “Things can bear themselves out differently at trial, but that at that point was not defense of others. That was first-degree murder.”

Hood is due back in court for a hearing July 12.

Contact Matt Masterson: @ByMattMasterson[email protected] | (773) 509-5431

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors:

View all sponsors