A man accused in a fatal shooting after a traffic accident earlier this year now faces charges in a separate West Englewood homicide in which he allegedly killed a man as he stood outside a vehicle that had two young children inside.
Angelo Baldwin, 22, was charged Tuesday with one count of first-degree murder and four counts of attempted murder following the June 10 killing of 20-year-old Darrion Stokes.
Baldwin, who was previously denied bail following his arrest on an unrelated murder charge, was ordered held on $1 million cash bail during a hearing Tuesday. The Chicago Police Department listed Baldwin’s first name as “Antonio,” in a news release Tuesday, though he’s listed as “Angelo Baldwin” in records from the Cook County Jail and Cook County State's Attorney's Office.
According to Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy, Stokes was standing outside and speaking to the occupants of a parked car in the 6500 block of South Claremont Avenue just before 3:30 p.m. June 10.
As this was happening, a blue Kia SUV drove by and someone inside began shooting at the group, striking Stokes in the chest, Murphy said. The SUV then continued driving by and additional shots were fired at another man who happened to be standing in the area.
That man was not injured, while one victim inside the parked car suffered a graze wound to their finger, according to Murphy. Three other occupants of that vehicle, including two children aged 2 and 4, were not wounded.
Stokes was later pronounced dead.
Murphy said the blue Kia had been stolen from a gas station a day before the shooting, and video surveillance from that location showed Baldwin taking the vehicle. He was also allegedly seen on camera driving the Kia in the minutes immediately before and after the shooting of Stokes, and his DNA was later found on a cup located in the vehicle.
Shortly after the shooting, the Kia was involved in a minor traffic accident, and Baldwin and a second, unknown man could be seen fleeing the area on foot, according to Murphy. Cellphone records showed Baldwin then ordered an Uber to pick him up and searched Twitter for information about the shooting of Stokes, Murphy said.
During Tuesday’s hearing, Murphy detailed another homicide Baldwin allegedly committed following a minor traffic accident on I-57 on July 1. In that case, Baldwin and the 21-year-old male victim exchanged information after the accident and agreed not to contact police. But Murphy said Baldwin then demanded cash from the victim, and when he refused, Baldwin allegedly followed him to his car and shot him multiple times.
Baldwin got back into his car and drove away, but left his wallet with his driver’s license at the scene, Murphy said, and a shell casing recovered from the scene was found to have been fired from the same gun used to kill Stokes.
A Cook County judge ordered Baldwin held without bail in July following his arrest in that I-57 shooting.
He is due back in court for a hearing Jan. 3.