Welcome to Chicago Tonight’s online coverage of the 2012 congressional primaries. Chicago Tonight is your go-to source for information, and we’ve pulled together a variety of resources to help you be better informed about your congressional candidates. We are providing information for all candidates in our viewing area, paying special attention to 2nd, 8th, 10th, and 16th congressional districts and the race for Cook County Circuit Court Clerk.
We will be holding candidate forums for the aforementioned districts, and extended versions will be featured on our website along with questionnaires and other information. Some of the districts are new because of "redistricting," which is the process of redefining political boundaries every 10 years after the release of the Census. With these new districts, some of the races might be different than you'd normally expect. We’ll keep adding additional information as the race continues.
Online, we're covering every candidate in our viewing area, and on the show we're having candidate forums for some of the most competitive races.
Here are the original questions:
1) What is the No. 1 issue in your district and how would you address it?
2) How would you promote job growth in your district?
3) Should the federal government cut spending and where?
4) If Republican, which GOP presidential candidate do you support?
5) Give an example of something you’ve done that is bipartisanship in nature.
6) Name one good policy idea that comes from the opposing party.
7) How do you define family values?
8) What are your thoughts on the healthcare law?
9) Who is your political role model?
10) What’s on your iPod?
*The candidates' questionnaires have not been condensed or edited. The candidates appear on our website in the same order as they appear on the ballot.