While many of COVID-19’s symptoms mimic that of the flu or a cold, the loss of taste and smell have been a common indicator of the virus.
Research estimates between 700,000 and 1.6 million people may not have regained their sense of smell even months after their COVID-19 infection, according to CNN.
Health professionals are researching ways to help patients regain these senses.
According to a study from the American Journal of Otolaryngology, after one month 72% of people recovered their sense of smell and 84% were able to taste foods.
“Usually, COVID-19 patients who have smell loss, about 85% will get back to normal in about one month,” said Dr. Peter Papagiannopoulos, a specialist who treats nose and sinus problems at Rush University Medical Center. “That leaves 15% of patients that will be struggling potentially for three months. Then, there are patients who will [never recover].”
Papagiannopoulos shared advice on “Chicago Tonight” on how one should regain their sense of smell and how one should manage symptoms.