Pavement is NOT a natural substrate for human ambulation, in the evolution of our species. Our feet evolved for use on natural soil. These facts overshadow everything in this story. As some of our ancestors migrated to wintry places and survived the Ice Age, they invented warm footwear of the moccasin type to keep their feet warm and dry. The best patterns survive in the fur boots of Arctic peoples. People who lived in arid and semiarid climates invented sandals of plant-fiber cordage to protect their feet. Native peoples in the Southwestern USA invented moccasins with molded rawhide soles to protect their feet from stone bruises and hot ground. These work as well on city sidewalks.
If you want to know what the natural foot-strike is for a barefoot human in warm weather, have a bear chase him to within an inch of his life. He will adjust his gait to the hardness of the surface to be more comfortable. A person running barefoot on city pavement may have more to fear than stepping on broken glass and acorns. He could step on a small rusty nail and get lockjaw.
I've read that modern pavement for vehicles was invented for bicycles. Pavement for pedestrians was, I think, invented in many parts of the world to protect the ground from erosion by too much traffic. Eventually people realized they needed to invent cushioned shoes for walking on it, to simulate the softness of natural soil. I think we'd be better off if we kept our planned running to natural surfaces other than rock.