Additional Coverage from WTTW News
- Survey: Willie Wilson on the IssuesFeb. 8, 2019
- Businessman, Philanthropist Willie Wilson Makes 2nd Bid for Chicago MayorMarch 28, 2018
About the Candidate
Name: Dr. Willie L. Wilson
DOB: June 16, 1948
Occupation: Businessman/Chairman of The Board – Omar Medical Supplies, Inc. Singer, Philanthropist, Minister
Political Experience: Composing of and introduction of several key pieces of legislation and bills that have become law.
What is your vision for this office?
To first rid the office of its longtime corruption and install ‘checks and balances’ and key protocols to usher in a new day of transparent government in the City of Chicago that works FOR the people. For the office to implement a culture of inclusion that will equally reflect the make-up of the 77 communities that shape the City of Chicago. To ‘give’ the city back to the people with economic fairness, safer neighborhoods, lower taxes and better quality of life for ALL will lead to unification of our great city.
What is the most pressing issue facing constituents, and how can you help address it?
Taxes and city mismanagement.
Every single candidate proposes some type of tax increase ‘in the mix’ of their plan. On the contrary, we will freeze all taxes within the authority of the Mayor and look to reduce and eliminate many of the nickel-and- dime taxes like the bag tax, the city vehicle sticker, boots, outrageous parking fines and fees, foolish red light cameras, etc. This will be accomplished as we establish new revenues such as my proposed citizens-owned casino, the regulation/legalization/taxation of marijuana and the reopening of Meigs Fields. We will work to ensure there are NO MORE ADDITIONAL nickel-and-dime taxes like the senseless commuter tax proposed by both Bill Daley and Bob Fioretti, the additional sales tax proposed by Amara Enyia, the parking app tax by Toni Preckwinkle and the income tax hike Susana Mendoza wants to pile on! We will give the city BACK to the PEOPLE!
Willie Wilson on the Issues
- What type of ban on outside employment for aldermen do you support? A full ban
- What kind of mayoral term limits do you support? Two terms
- What kind of aldermanic term limits do you support? Two terms
- Should aldermen control zoning in their wards? No
- Who should make zoning and licensing decisions? The administrative branch
- Do you support a ban on Chicago politicians’ family members getting city jobs? Only for top policy positions
- What kind of school board do you support? Elected school board
- Are you in support of teachers getting raises in their next contract? It depends
- Do you support a longer school day? Yes
- Do you support full-day kindergarten? Yes
- What type of charter school changes would you like to see? Fewer charter schools
- Do you support raising property taxes to help close the pension gap? No
- Do you support hikes in any other taxes/fees to help close the pension gap? No
- Do you support pension obligation bonds to help close the pension gap? No
- Do you support a change to the Illinois Constitution to end 3-percent compounded cost of living adjustments (COLAs)? No
- Do you support taxing marijuana sales to fund city pensions? Yes
- Do you support a city casino to fund city pensions? Yes
- Do you support building a new police and fire academy? No
- Would you hire more police officers and detectives? No
- Do you support raising property, real estate, or sales taxes to help hire more police officers? No
- Do you support tougher sentences for illegal possession of weapons? Yes
- Do you support tougher sentences for failure to report lost or stolen weapons? Yes
- Do you support building more bus rapid transit lanes? Did not answer
- Do you support the use of Tax Increment Financing (TIFs) to fund transit upgrades? Did not answer
- What action will you take on TIFs? Use TIFs only in blighted areas
- What tax or taxes would you support raising to help fund city government? (Check all that apply) We don’t need additional taxes